Meeting time is valuable time. As facilitators, there are many ways in which we can ensure that meeting time is productively focused on the purpose and outcomes. Below are common time wasters and a link to alternative strategies to enhance how the session is managed:
- Starting late and waiting until everyone has gathered.
- Writing points on a flipchart while participants passively wait for instructions or listing of group output.
- Inviting people to volunteer for an activity, and then waiting for somebody to step forward ‘in the moment’.
- Forging ahead when the group is tired or sluggish.
- Taking time to hear the reports back from all subgroups.
Call to Action: Enhance your facilitation skills today; check out our Masterful Facilitation Institute courses.