According to Dr. Travis Bradberry, your mindset is the primary determinant of your success. In his recent article, The One Thing You Need to Succeed, this co-author of Emotional Intelligence 2.0 shares the findings of TalentSmart: 90% of top performers rate high on the Emotional Intelligence scale.
Here is a quick summary from his article of the successful mindset to adopt in the face of challenges and events:
- Don’t Hold Back Because of Fear. The worst thing that can happen to you is allowing yourself to die inside while you’re still alive.
- Remember: Age is Just a Number. Successful people follow their hearts and allow their passion – not the body they’re living in – to be their guide.
- Live in the Present Moment. Make peace with the past; accept the uncertainty of the future.
- Let Go of Things You Can’t Control. Focus your effort on doing what you can every single day to improve your own life and the world around you.
- What Others Think Isn’t Necessarily So. No matter what other people think of you at any particular moment, one thing is certain—you’re never as good or as bad as they say you are.
- Don’t Inhale Others’ Negativity. If the complainer were smoking, would you sit there all afternoon inhaling their second-hand smoke?
- Focus on Solutions Not What’s Wrong. Find the best solution, tackle the problem, and move on.
For leaders and professionals, an important contributor to their success is the ability to enable others to act and succeed. If you’d like to develop your confidence and ability to facilitate productive, positive and successful group work in sessions, meetings and workshops, check out our learning programs at the Masterful Facilitation Institute.